Langdon Kids

Langdon Kids
The Langdon Puppet Team--Andrew, Matthew, Alina, Bridget, Kris & Sarah

Monday, July 04, 2011

What's for Breakfast

Here in Malawi, breakfast consists of tea with a lot of sugar and 2-4 slices of white bread with margarine.  My children think it's a fine breakfast but after a few days of it the novelty has worn off.  Just because we are in Malawi, doesn't mean we have to eat like them but it is difficult to find something else to eat.  They have cereal but a box of Corn Flakes costs anywhere from $5 to $8 and isn't any more nutritious than the bread which costs $1.00.  In Lilongwe you can find oatmeal which costs $2.50 for 1 lb.  We are not in Lilongwe but Mzuzu where it is harder to find things. On Friday, we went to a store and they had oatmeal so we bought 2 big boxes.  When we go next time they won't have any. 
What I have been doing is making a baking mix that I can mix into muffins, pancakes, etc. when I need it.  Initially, I couldn't find brown flour (whole wheat) so I used white flour but tastes better than the bread.  Last week I found some brown flour so now we have some nutrition in our breads.
At the bakery you can find scones which are really good and we have those a few times a week.  They have another type of roll which is good that they call "Obama" and I don't know why.  Apparently the Malawians love Obama so they have named this bread after him.

No comments: